Wednesday, July 6, 2011

2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Review

So I went out on a limb and picked up a box of 2011 Goodwin Champions. In case you are not aware, Goodwin Champions is a product released by Upper Deck which covers pretty much every sport out there. You can pull anyone from Michael Jordan to Bobby Orr, from Tiger Woods to your favorite Olympian. After opening G.C. I have concluded that its ability to touch all sports is it biggest strength and its biggest weakness.

I LOVE opening a product knowing that I could pull a great from any sport, but when you don't pull a "Great" you are left with cards of people you could sometimes care less about. In the case of my box, I pulled some decent cards.

Let's start with the Memorabilia Cards, you are supposed to get 3 Total Hits per box. I walked away with 4 Memorabilia Hits and No Autos. The design of the Memorabilia Cards is nice, however, the swatch is pretty darn small. I am not a fan of the "M" cut-out for the relic swatch. Here is a look at the hits...



 I unfortunately am not a collector of Football cards, however, I can appreciate a jersey of Troy (Cowboys were my childhood team), Steve, and Barry. I definitely have NO interest in golf so the Miller Jersey/Shorts/Boxer Swatch is of little to no interest to me. I can not complain about 3 good ones out of 4. I will complain about not getting an autograph though. As good as jersey cards are, they do not hold near the value of an autograph card. I would have loved to have seen one of the hard-signed autos that G.C. has become known for. O Well...

Overall I think the product is good, especially at only $75/Box. Not an overload of Inserts (which is great) and the ones that do exist are pretty darn cool...

Other than that the set consists of some Short Print and Super Short Print Base, as well as a set of mini parallels. EVERY pack contains either a hit, an insert, or a SP card. I would encourage everyone to pick up a box of this and take your shot at one of the chasers, who knows, maybe you will get one of the Entomology Bug Cards! Until Next Time...HAPPY MOJO!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment